Monday, October 28, 2019

Great Care at Homestead Hospital - My column on my emergency appendectomy that started my trail of appendix cancer that I did not know when I wrote this- Jun 7, 2013

Last year in February I had emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder. I never had any of the typical signs, just one severe attack. I was a patient at Baptist Hospital at Homestead and had wonderful care, but I have heard others speak about bad service at the hospital and just couldn’t understand the comments. This year, on the Friday of the Memorial Day weekend, I just didn’t feel right. I thought I had a bad bladder infection or a pulled muscle as I had a sharp pain when I stood up. The next day, the dull pain was still there but again, only when I stood up. I decided to swim some laps and see how it went, and I was fine. I sat all that day and sewed, but when I stood up around 4 p.m., the pain hit again. Finally around 6, Mr. Wonderful, kind guy that he is, said he didn’t want to be in the emergency room at 3 in the morning so make up my mind. I knew I had to go. Arriving at Homestead Hospital in the emergency room, I cringed as it seemed like every person in Homestead was there and they all brought their kids. I thought I would never get taken in and wondered if I should go home. Sitting there, I had a clear view of how people use the emergency room for a doctor’s office. Fortunately, I was taken in quickly and the nurse processed my paperwork and without my asking, took it upon herself to find a larger gown for me. I appreciated her consideration as I am a large woman and feel very embarrassed when the gown doesn’t fit. Next came the blood work, cardiogram, cat scan and boom, I was diagnosed with a mucous sac on my appendix that was infected and everything was “grossly distended.” I was told that I might escape surgery, but would be admitted to the hospital on high doses of antibiotics. Mr. Wonderful went home and I arrived in my room around 2:30 a.m. The next morning, my nurse came in first thing and told me I was being prepped for surgery! I was shocked as I thought I didn’t need surgery and what part were they going to take out now? The surgeon, Dr. Todd Mangione, a handsome young guy, soon came in and explained everything to me. I had a mucocele sac on my appendix that was infected and everything had to come out. I couldn’t believe it, not again! I asked the doctor to please take out anything else that was lying around in there as I was tired of having surgery. Then I called Mr. Wonderful and was on my way to pre-op where again, the nurses were wonderful. In the pre-op, the anesthesiologist gave me the run down, I met the very nice operating room nurse and Mr. Wonderful showed up to see me off. I love that cocktail they give you before you go into the operating room because I don’t remember anything after that. Surgery went well, however, when I returned to my room, I could not keep anything down for two days, which kept me in the hospital for a longer period of time. During this time, I was really impressed with the concern and caring attitude of the staff. My nurses and aids on the 5th floor, Angie, Mimi, Claudia, Mae, Shaunta, Suzzi, Frankie, Angela and Consuelo could not do enough for me. I was checked on at least once an hour if not more and they constantly came in to ask if I needed anything. When I called to have help going to the restroom, I don’t think I ever waited more than two minutes for assistance. The housekeeping department was constantly checking the room for cleanliness. I spent Saturday through Tuesday in the hospital and had wonderful care all the way around. I cannot thank everyone enough. The other day my daughter told me that she explained to our five year old grandson, Alex, that Grammy was in the hospital and had surgery. Alex was almost in tears and extremely concerned about my “missing parts” so Debi told him, “Alex, don’t worry, Grammy will be fine. She had her appendix removed, but you don’t need that part. Mommy had it taken out in college and look, she’s fine. She had you and Avery and is just fine.” Alex seemed satisfied and went to bed but later came out and whispered to his mom, “Is Grammy going to have a baby now?” I thought I’d rip open my incisions when they told me that story! If I had to have this happen, two surgeries within 15 months, I’m glad it was at Homestead Hospital. Publisher’s note: Homestead Hospital staff are also to be commended for their improvisational skills when asked for a flower vase

No comments: