Friday, August 28, 2009

A Happy Decision - 19th Story


Last week I informed you of a hard choice I had to make regarding Boot Camp. Oshun, one of my trainers had left the YMCA. She has taken a position with Schnebly’s Winery where she will probably do some healthy cooking as well as run the Warriors of Wine Boot Camp. Nestor and Rico, my other favorite trainers, were still at the YMCA for me and I love working out with them. All three have supported me from day one in January when I placed that first call to Rico. I had to decide where to continue and I can honestly say that I have lost sleep over the decision and had a good cry over it as well.


Although everyone was telling me that they would support me and be there for me no matter what, I still felt like I was being pulled like salt water taffy on the stretching machine that I watched in the window on the boardwalk of Wildwood, New Jersey as a kid. After stretching and molding, I would watch it come down the chute into the boxes. I felt like everyone was just standing and watching me being pulled and waiting to see into which box I would land. Who would I disappoint?


It was obvious at work and at home that I was in agony over having to choose. Finally my husband set me straight by telling me, “Forget everyone else and do what is good for Doris.” It was then that I again realized that I was letting my Fat Lady Syndrome (FLS) rule me. I was trying to please everyone else, forgetting about my own needs, because being a fat lady you don’t feel you deserve to think about yourself. Who was I writing these articles for? Not for the YMCA! Not for an individual trainer! Not for the paper! I am writing them as therapy for me! ME! DORIS!


I had given myself until this past Sunday evening to make my decision, but after a few phone calls on Friday after work, a thought began swirling around in my mind that scared the devil out of me. I really felt like I have been in a small rut with my exercising lately and maybe needed a change of some sort. Could I really do what I was thinking? I then made a call to Oshun and posed a question to her and told her I wanted an honest answer. I asked Oshun, “You know where I am fitness wise. Do you think I could honestly do Boot Camp five days a week?” Oshun’s answer to me was an immediate, “Definitely!” I told her of my plan but wanted to confirm it with others.


I then made a call to Rico, one of my trainers at the YMCA. I confirmed with Rico that Tuesday and Thursday is a Boot Camp option with the Y and he also confirmed that he thought I could do the five days. All of a sudden I thought I heard trumpets playing and angels singing! A huge wave of relief washed over me like a tidal wave! I think my heart skipped a few beats as I realized that I had finally found a way that I can keep my connection with all of my trainers and the YMCA. I made a decision two days ahead of schedule and I made the decision for me!
This session, I will be a Warrior of Wine on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays by attending Oshun’s Boot Camp at Schnebly’s Winery. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I will be under the punishing eyes of Nasty Nestor and Rambo Rico at the YMCA Boot Camp. Yes, believe it or not, this 54 year old obese woman, 280 pounds of her, will be working out at Boot Camps five days a week. Yes. I said five!


This is a life changing decision. I have gone from being sedentary and doing absolutely nothing to working out three times a week. Am I crazy to even think that I can possibly exercise five days a week? Can I really get up at 5 a.m., five days a week and exercise for an hour prior to starting my day at work? Will my body survive the grueling training or will I have a cellulite meltdown? Am I kidding myself that I can do this? I have got to try for me! Time will tell and I hope this will definitely add to my articles as I will write about both experiences each week.
Warriors of Wine started this week and I have already attended the sessions. On September 9th, the YMCA Boot Camp will begin. This has also taken care of my worries for the weeks in between Boot Camps as I only had one week off.


Boot Camp registration is taking place now no matter where you would like to go. Get up! Do it for you! I’m learning that maybe I do deserve to think about myself!
I am a recruit in the YMCA Boot Camp and Schnebly’s Warriors of Wine and I am beginning to believe that I am doing all of this for Doris!

No comments: